Skip repetitive navigation links.
United States Department of AgricultureFarm Services AgencyFarm Service Agency
Go to FSA Home Go to FSA Home Go to About FSA Go to State Offices Go to Newsroom Go to Online Services Go to Forms Go to Help Go to Contact Us Go to Spanish Languages
Search FSA
Go To Search Tips
Browse by Audience
FSA Employees
Lenders and Banks
Parents and Caregivers
Academic Community
Browse by Subject
Go to Aerial Photography
Go to ARC/PLC Program
Go to Commodity Operations
Go to Conservation Programs
Go to Dairy Margin Protection Program
Go to Direct and Counter-Cyclical Program/ACRE
Go to Disaster Assistance Programs
Go to Economic and Policy Analysis
Go to Energy Programs
Go to Environmental and Cultural Resource Compliance
Go to Farm Loan Programs
Go to Financial Management Information
Go to Laws and Regulations
Go to Modernize and Innovate the Delivery of Agricultural Systems
Go to Outreach and Education
Go to Payment Eligibility
Go to Price Support

News Releases

Printable Version
Release No. 0109.11


Kent Politsch (202) 720-7807


FSA Reminds Producers of Disaster Assistance Deadlines

WASHINGTON, Sept. 1, 2011 – The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) Administrator Bruce Nelson reminded producers today about upcoming deadlines for disaster assistance. Nelson emphasized that losses must be the result of a weather event occurring on or before Sept. 30, 2011.

"This year brought a host of extreme weather challenges for America's farmers, ranchers and producers," said Nelson. "USDA is committed to use the resources at our disposal to reduce the impact of these conditions and help producers get back on their feet. And this year, especially, it's important for producers to be aware of program deadlines and to have their records in order so that they get the assistance they need."

The 2008 Farm Bill authorizes coverage of disaster losses through these five programs:
  • Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments Program (SURE);
  • Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP);
  • Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees, and Farm-Raised Fish (ELAP);
  • Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP); and the
  • Tree Assistance Program (TAP).

SURE applications for 2010 crop losses will be accepted later this fall. SURE applications for 2011 crop losses will be accepted in the fall of 2012, when the 2011 farm revenue data required by statute becomes available.

FSA is required to determine that the claimed loss was because of a disaster occurring on or before Sept. 30, 2011. FSA must determine if a qualifying loss meets the established disaster relief criteria for at least one crop.

At the time the SURE application for payment is filed, the producer will be required to identify and certify a crop of economic significance that suffered a qualifying loss of 10 percent or more. At least one such crop with 10-percent losses on or before Sept. 30, 2011, is required by SURE.

"We encourage all producers to read the applicable disaster program fact sheets and visit their local FSA county office. The staff can provide additional information such as the deadline for filing a program application or the initial requirement for filing a notice of loss," Nelson said.

Important dates for the five disaster programs are summarized in the table below.

Deadline to File a Notice of Loss
Application Period
No deadline for SURE, but check with your crop insurance or Noninsured Crop Disaster Program (NAP) policy
2009: closed
2010: begins fall 2011
2011: begins fall 2012
Not applicable
Now through Jan. 30, 2012
Within 30days of when the loss is apparent, but not later than Dec. 29, 2011
Now through Jan. 30, 2012
Not applicable when loss is apparent
Within 90 days of when loss is apparent
* Losses must be due to a weather even that occurs on or before Sept. 30, 2011


Fact sheets for these programs can be found at; click on Newsroom, then Fact Sheets.

Additional information regarding the programs is at



USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410, Washington, DC 20250-9410, or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (English Federal-relay) or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish Federal-relay). USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.




FSA Home | | Common Questions | Site Map | Policies and Links
FOIA | Accessibility Statement | Privacy Policy | Nondiscrimination Statement | Information Quality | | White House