Skip repetitive navigation links.
United States Department of AgricultureFarm Services AgencyFarm Service Agency
Go to FSA Home Go to FSA Home Go to About FSA Go to State Offices Go to Newsroom Go to Online Services Go to Forms Go to Help Go to Contact Us Go to Spanish Languages
Search FSA
Go To Search Tips
Browse by Audience
FSA Employees
Lenders and Banks
Parents and Caregivers
Academic Community
Browse by Subject
Go to Aerial Photography
Go to ARC/PLC Program
Go to Commodity Operations
Go to Conservation Programs
Go to Dairy Margin Protection Program
Go to Direct and Counter-Cyclical Program/ACRE
Go to Disaster Assistance Programs
Go to Economic and Policy Analysis
Go to Energy Programs
Go to Environmental and Cultural Resource Compliance
Go to Farm Loan Programs
Go to Financial Management Information
Go to Laws and Regulations
Go to Modernize and Innovate the Delivery of Agricultural Systems
Go to Outreach and Education
Go to Payment Eligibility
Go to Price Support

Fact Sheets

January 2011

Conservation Reserve Program, General Sign-Up 41, March 14-April 15, 2011


USDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) will hold a Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) general sign-up from March 14 through April 15, 2011.

CRP is a voluntary program that helps agricultural producers use environmentally sensitive land for conservation benefits. Producers enrolled in CRP plant long-term, resource-conserving covers to control soil erosion, improve water and air quality and develop wildlife habitat. In return, FSA provides participants with rental payments and cost-share assistance. Contract duration is between 10 to 15 years. Accepted contracts for sign-up 41will begin on Oct. 1, 2011.

FSA administers CRP, while other USDA agencies and partners provide technical support. More detailed information on CRP is available in the FSA fact sheet "Conservation Reserve Program."

Submitting CRP Offers

Land that is not currently enrolled in CRP may be offered for enrollment during CRP sign-up 41. In addition, CRP participants with contracts expiring on Sept. 30, 2011, may submit offers.

To submit CRP offers, producers must visit their local FSA office. FSA will accept offers only during the sign-up period (March 14 through April 15, 2011). To find your local FSA office, visit the USDA's website at

Eligible Producers

To be eligible for CRP enrollment, a producer must have owned or operated the land for at least 12 months prior to the end of the CRP sign-up period, unless:

  • new owner acquired the land due to the previous owner's death;

  • ownership change occurred due to foreclosure where the owner exercised a timely right of redemption in accordance with state law or;

  • circumstance of the acquisition present adequate assurance to FSA that the new owner did not acquire the land for the purpose of placing it in CRP.

Eligible Land

To be eligible for placement in general sign-up CRP, land must be cropland (including field margins) that is planted or considered planted to an agricultural commodity four of the six crop years from 2002 to 2007, and be physically and legally capable of being planted (no planting restrictions due to an easement or other legally binding instrument) in a normal manner to an agricultural commodity. Alfalfa or other multiyear grasses and legumes grown in a rotation not to exceed 12 years may be eligible for this year.

Additional Cropland Requirements

In addition to the eligible land requirements, for general sign-up, cropland must meet one of the following criteria:

  • a weighted average erosion index of eight or higher;

  • expiring CRP acreage or;

  • located in a national or state CRP conservation priority area.

CRP Payments

FSA provides CRP sign-up 41 participants with annual rental payments, including certain incentive payments and cost-share assistance:

  • Payments

  • In return for establishing long-term, resource conserving covers, FSA provides rental payments to participants. FSA bases rental rates on the relative productivity of the soils within each county and the average dryland cash rent or cash-rent equivalent. County office staff working with the producer will calculate the maximum CRP rental rate for each offer prior to enrollment. Producers may offer land below the rate to increase the likelihood that FSA will accept their offer.

  • Assistance

  • FSA provides cost-share assistance to participants who establish approved cover on eligible cropland. The cost-share assistance cannot exceed 50 percent of the participant's costs to establish approved practices.

Ranking CRP Offers

FSA will rank offers for CRP sign-up 41 according to the Environmental Benefits Index (EBI). FSA collects data (primarily based on location, soils information and selected conservation practice) and determines the environmental indices for the land offered.

FSA ranks each eligible offer in comparison to all other offers and selects from that ranking. After the sign-up ends, the Secretary will decide where to make the EBI cutoff. Those who have met previous sign-up EBI thresholds are not guaranteed a contract under this sign-up. Producers may consult with local FSA and NRCS staff on how to maximize EBI points and increase the likelihood that their offer will be accepted.

More information on EBI for CRP sign-up 41 is available by reading the FSA fact sheet, "Conservation Reserve Program Sign-up 41, Environmental Benefits Index."

CRP Continuous Sign-up

In addition to CRP sign-up 41, producers at any time can participate in CRP continuous sign-up, in which producers can enroll the most environmentally sensitive land.

More information on CRP continuous sign-up is available in the FSA fact sheet "Conservation Reserve Program Continuous Sign-up."

For More Information

For more information on CRP, contact a local FSA office, or visit FSA's website at

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of Discrimination, write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave. SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410, or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.



FSA Home | | Common Questions | Site Map | Policies and Links
FOIA | Accessibility Statement | Privacy Policy | Nondiscrimination Statement | Information Quality | | White House