Skip repetitive navigation links.
United States Department of Agriculture Farm Services Agency Illinois
Go to State Office Home Page Go to FSA Home Go to About FSA Go to Newsroom Go to Online Services Go to Forms Go to Help Go to Contact Us Go to Spanish Languages
Search FSA
Go To Search Tips
Browse by Subject
Go to County Committee Minutes
Go to County Offices
Go to County Pcp Data
Go to Daily LDP Rates
Go to Programs
Go to News Letters
Go to State Committee Minutes
Go to State Events
Go to State News Releases

News Releases

Printable Version

For Immediate Release
July 24, 2012

Contact: Scherrie V. Giamanco, FSA State Executive Director

Donald King, Chief Program Specialist



Springfield, IL July 24, 2012 – In response to recent extreme temperatures and drought that has impacted forage acres, USDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) authorized emergency grazing use of Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acres in 10 Illinois counties effective July 24, 2012.

Emergency grazing of land enrolled in CRP has been authorized for Adams, Brown, Cass, Greene, Hancock, McDonough, Mason, Menard, Pike, and Schuyler Counties.

According to Scherrie Giamanco, State Executive Director of Illinois FSA, this authorization permits emergency grazing only in these counties. No haying of CRP acres is allowed at this time. Additionally, there will be a 10 percent CRP payment reduction for grazing CRP acres under these emergency provisions.

"Producers who are struggling to find forage acres for their livestock should take advantage of this opportunity," said Giamanco.

Emergency CRP grazing authority is limited to livestock producers who have suffered pasture losses due to the ongoing drought conditions in these 10 counties. To take advantage of the emergency provisions, eligible producers may move livestock across county lines from one approved emergency use county to another approved emergency use county.

Eligible producers who are interested in grazing CRP under the emergency authorization and current CRP participants who choose to provide land for grazing to an eligible livestock producer, must first request approval to graze eligible acreage; obtain a modified conservation plan from the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to include grazing requirements, leave at least 25 percent of each field or contiguous CRP field ungrazed for wildlife, or graze not more than 75 percent of the stocking rate as determined by NRCS.

For more information on FSA's Emergency Conservation Program, or other drought assistance, visit

To sign up for FSA's GovDelivery electronic news service, visit

graphic of USDA's 150th Anniversary logo


USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C . 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).


twitter FaceBook widget Ask FSA Fence Post RSS YouTube

Media Help
 To view PDF files you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.

To view Flash files you must have Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer.

FSA Home | | Common Questions | Site Map | Policies and Links
FOIA | Accessibility Statement | Privacy Policy | Nondiscrimination Statement | Information Quality | | White House