Skip repetitive navigation links.
United States Department of Agriculture Farm Services Agency Oklahoma
Go to State Office Home Page Go to FSA Home Go to About FSA Go to Newsroom Go to Online Services Go to Forms Go to Help Go to Contact Us Go to Spanish Languages
Search FSA
Go To Search Tips
Browse by Subject
Go to County Committee Minutes
Go to County Offices
Go to County Pcp Data
Go to Daily LDP Rates
Go to Programs
Go to News Letters
Go to State Committee Minutes
Go to State Events
Go to State News Releases

News Releases

Printable Version
April 12, 2011

Shelly Bilderback



STILLWATER, Okla., April 12, 2011 – Francie Tolle, executive director for Oklahoma Farm Service Agency (FSA), announced that Oklahoma producers who have suffered livestock grazing losses due to qualifying drought or fire may apply for assistance under the provisions of the Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP). This permanent disaster program is authorized in the 2008 Farm Bill.

"The Livestock Forage Disaster Program will help those producers who have suffered devastating losses from fires and the ongoing drought," said Tolle. "LFP ensures that producers receive the critical disaster assistance needed to remain financially solvent and help them continue on in their operations."

There are provisions under which the drought or fire must qualify in order for the producers to be eligible for assistance. For drought, the losses must have occurred on land that is native or improved pastureland with permanent vegetative cover or a crop planted specifically for grazing for covered livestock due to a qualifying drought during the normal grazing period for the specific type of grazing land in the county. For fire, LFP provides payments to eligible livestock producers that have suffered grazing losses on rangeland managed by a federal agency if the eligible livestock producer is prohibited by the federal agency from grazing the normal permitted livestock on the managed rangeland due to a qualifying fire.

Eligible livestock under LFP include beef cattle, alpacas, buffalo, beefalo, dairy cattle, deer, elk, emus, equine, goats, llamas, poultry, reindeer, sheep and swine. For losses due to drought, qualifying drought ratings are determined using the U.S. Drought Monitor located at

To be eligible for assistance under the LFP producers must:

  • have timely applied for and obtained either Crop insurance; or
  • Non-insured Crop Disaster Assistance (NAP) coverage on the pasture or grazing land which suffered an eligible loss.
  • Be an owner, cash or share lessee, or contract grower of covered livestock that provides pastureland or grazing land for the livestock;
  • Provide pastureland or grazing land that is physically located in a county affected by drought or fire on federally managed land.

Producers are only required to obtain a policy or plan of insurance or have NAP coverage on the grazing land or pastureland acres for which benefits are being requested under LFP. Livestock producers are not required to purchase pilot program insurance to be eligible for LFP.

Note: Eligible farmers and ranchers who meet the definition of “Socially Disadvantaged,” “Limited Resource," or “Beginning Farmer or Rancher,” do not have to meet the crop insurance requirement.

Producers need to contact their local FSA county offices to sign up for LFP. Producers can also learn more about LFP by visiting us online at

Farm Service Agency has offices throughout Oklahoma; local offices are listed in the United States Government section of the phone book or can be found by visiting

USDA is an equal opportunity employer, provider and lender.


twitter FaceBook widget Ask FSA Fence Post RSS YouTube

Media Help
 To view PDF files you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.

To view Flash files you must have Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer.

FSA Home | | Common Questions | Site Map | Policies and Links
FOIA | Accessibility Statement | Privacy Policy | Nondiscrimination Statement | Information Quality | | White House