Skip repetitive navigation links.
United States Department of AgricultureFarm Services AgencyFarm Service Agency
Go to FSA Home Go to FSA Home Go to About FSA Go to State Offices Go to Newsroom Go to Online Services Go to Forms Go to Help Go to Contact Us Go to Spanish Languages
Search FSA
Go To Search Tips
Browse by Audience
FSA Employees
Lenders and Banks
Parents and Caregivers
Academic Community
Browse by Subject
Go to Aerial Photography
Go to ARC/PLC Program
Go to Commodity Operations
Go to Conservation Programs
Go to Dairy Margin Protection Program
Go to Direct and Counter-Cyclical Program/ACRE
Go to Disaster Assistance Programs
Go to Economic and Policy Analysis
Go to Energy Programs
Go to Environmental and Cultural Resource Compliance
Go to Farm Loan Programs
Go to Financial Management Information
Go to Laws and Regulations
Go to Modernize and Innovate the Delivery of Agricultural Systems
Go to Outreach and Education
Go to Payment Eligibility
Go to Price Support
Go to Tobacco
Conservation Programs
Voluntary Public Access And Habitat Incentive Program

This program information is maintained for historic value only. Effective 2014, the VPA-HIP program is administered by the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).


What Is Voluntary Public Access And Habitat Incentives Program (VPA-HIP)?


Thumbnail image depicting voluntary public access program image
The Voluntary Public Access and Habitat Incentives Program (VPA-HIP) encourages private landowners to voluntarily make their land available to the public for wildlife-dependent recreation. States and tribes approved for funding of this Farm Service Agency (FSA) program use the funds as incentives to encourage private landowners of farms, ranches, and forests to make that land available to the public for wildlife-dependent recreation. This may include hunting or fishing. The overall goal of VPA-HIP is to enhance wildlife habitat and management and to boost local economies through activities that attract wildlife enthusiasts.


Why Is VPA-HIP important?

Lack of access, particularly in urbanized areas, is one of the most common reasons stated by individuals as to why they do not participate in traditional outdoor activities. This program allows the public to use private land for hunting, fishing, and other outdoor recreational activities. In doing so, it allows the public to enjoy the benefits of FSA conservation programs, such as increased wildlife populations.




For more information about VPA-HIP sign-up and how VPA-HIP grants work scroll down the page to the Participant Information section.




For a list of FAQs, visit Ask FSA.




Participant Information


How Do I Enroll In VPA-HIP?

To enroll, your state must participate in the program.


How Are VPA-HIP Funds Distributed?

The VPA-HIP grants are competitive. Requests for applications for the program are published on the federal government’s grants site, Only states or tribal governments can apply directly for these funds.

State or tribal government programs that are likely to be accepted by a large number of landowners are given priority, as are programs that use the grant money together with other federal, state, and tribal resources. Other programs likely to be funded are those that enroll land with suitable wildlife habitat, strengthen habitat improvement efforts on land enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program, or provide information to the public about the location of land that is publically accessible.


How Does VPA-HIP Work?

States and tribes submit applications for VPA-HIP funding during periods determined by the FSA. Requirements are documented in the Request for Applications (RFA) for VPA-HIP funding posted on the portal. Applications describe how states and tribes will conduct landowner outreach, apply the funds, and award procedures. FSA determines which applications are approved for funding. After entering an agreement with the FSA and reaching out to landowners, states and tribes engage in local contracts, agreements, or easements with landowners. Properties are then open to public access and this information is posted on websites or in appropriate state or tribal documents.







Last Modified: 12/04/14 7:03:32 AM

FSA Home | | Common Questions | Site Map | Policies and Links
FOIA | Accessibility Statement | Privacy Policy | Nondiscrimination Statement | Information Quality | | White House