Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program

U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program

What is the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program?

CREP Filter StripThe Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP) is a part of the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) the country's largest private-land conservation program. Administered by the Farm Service Agency (FSA), CREP targets specific State or nationally significant conservation concerns, and federal funds are supplemented with non-federal funds to address those concerns. In exchange for removing environmentally sensitive land from production and establishing permanent resource conserving plant species, farmers and ranchers are paid an annual rental rate along with other federal and non-federal incentives as applicable per each CREP agreement. Participation is voluntary, and the contract period is typically 10-15 years.

CREP enrollment under existing CREP agreements began December 9, 2019 and is ongoing.

Additional information will be provided on how to submit CREP agreement modifications and new proposals in the near future.

Visit your local FSA office for information regarding CREP projects in your area.

CREP Fact Sheets





  • Illinois and Kaskaskia River





  • Lower Ouachita River



  • Michigan CREP




New Jersey

  • New Jersey CREP

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota


  • Scioto River
  • Lake Erie


  • Oregon CREP


South Dakota




  • Washington CREP

West Virginia


How Is CREP Different From Continuous CRP?

You may have read information about Continuous CRP and are wondering how it differs from CREP. While both programs focus on environmentally sensitive land, CREP is a partnership between state governments and the federal government. This partnership is in place to address a high priority conservation concerns. Land cannot be enrolled in CREP if your state does not have a CREP agreement.

How Do I enroll?

Your state must have a CREP agreement in place with FSA. If there is an agreement, land can be enrolled in CREP on a continuous basis provided it meets the eligibility requirements for the program. Any land that meets basic CRP eligibility requirements, plus the additional requirements for a specific CREP project, may be eligible for enrollment. Most additional CREP land eligibility requirements apply to the location and characteristics of the land to be enrolled. All enrollment offers are processed through your local FSA office.

Why Should I Enroll?

In addition to contributing to improvement of the environment in multiple ways, those enrolled in CREP receive an annual rental payment for their enrolled acres and may be eligible for additional incentives. FSA also provides cost-sharing to help offset the costs associated with installing the conservation practices.

For further information about the program, including rental payment information, eligibility and maintenance criteria, and land requirements, visit your local FSA office

Documents Open For Public Comment