Disaster Assistance Programs

USDA offers a variety of programs and services to help communities, farmers, ranchers, and businesses that have been hard hit by Hurricanes Irma, Harvey, Maria and other natural disaster events. To find out how USDA can further assist you, visit USDA’s Storm Disaster Page.

Farm Service Agency Disaster Assistance Programs at a Glance

Sign up to receive Disaster Assistance Program email updates

The Agricultural Act of 2014 indefinitely extended the following four disaster programs that were previously authorized by the 2008 Farm Bill. The programs are made retroactive to Oct. 1, 2011. To be eligible for disaster assistance programs under the 2014 Farm Bill, producers are no longer required to purchase crop insurance or NAP coverage, which was the risk management purchase mandate under the 2008 Farm Bill.

Monthly Livestock Forage and Livestock Indemnity Summary Tables (Excel files)

Livestock Forage Program (LFP): LFP provides compensation to eligible livestock producers that have suffered grazing losses due to drought or fire on land that is native or improved pastureland with permanent vegetative cover or that is planted specifically for grazing.  Learn more about LFP.

Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP): LIP provides benefits to livestock producers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by adverse weather or by attacks by animals reintroduced into the wild by the federal government.  Learn more about LIP.

Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish (ELAP): ELAP provides emergency assistance to eligible producers of livestock, honeybees and farm-raised fish for losses due to disease (including cattle tick fever), adverse weather, or other conditions, such as blizzards and wildfires, not covered by LFP and LIP.  Learn more about ELAP.

Tree Assistance Program (TAP): TAP provides financial assistance to qualifying orchardists and nursery tree growers to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes, and vines damaged by natural disasters. Learn more about TAP.

2017 Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity Program (2017 WHIP): 2017 WHIP provides disaster payments to agricultural producers to offset losses from hurricanes, such as Harvey, Irma, Maria and Nate, as well as devastating wildfires during 2017. Learn more about 2017 WHIP.

Loans for losses to crops, trees, livestock, farm land and farm property

The Emergency Loan Program provides loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine. Emergency loan data by state and fiscal year is provided here.

The Disaster Set-Aside Program provides producers who have existing direct loans with FSA who are unable to make the scheduled payments to move up to one full year’s payment to the end of the loan. Disaster set-aside data by state and fiscal year is provided here. Assistance is available in counties, or contiguous counties, who have been designated as emergencies by the President, Secretary or FSA Administrator.

Farm land damage

The Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) provides assistance to producers if their land was damaged by a natural disaster and needs conservation practices.

Crop Losses

The Noninsured Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) provides assistance for crop losses when federal crop insurance is not available.

Have Questions?

Maybe we can help. Please check our Online Knowledge Base. AskFSA